Tuesday, May 17, 2011
Practice Logs
I make my kids keep a practice log. I remember when I was in school I practiced my butt off, and everyone got an A even if they couldn't play their part. This keeps the kids practicing and encourages them to get an A. Over the year I've received complaints from kids telling me that their parents won't sign the log. This last quarter I decided to make it easy, no parent signature, it's all on the honor system. I still have kids that tell me they don't know if they practiced. I ask them to tell me a number and they say "I dunno". So I give them a zero knowing full well that they practiced some. I wish that kids would take ownership of their band, and take a little pride in what they're doing. Granted many more kids turn in practice logs now, I'm sure some are lying, although I know some were lying in the past (that is to say their parents were lying). I know I’m whining a little bit today, but it’s just so frustrating. “Here let me give you an A.” “Nah, a C is just fine with me.” It doesn’t make sense.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment